Lymphatic drainage massage is a specialised form of massage which uses light rhythmical hand movements to gently stretch the skin in a circular motion along the lymphatic pathways of the body.
This gentle pumping movement stimulates the lymphatic vessels to contract and take up fluid from the surrounding tissue which is then carried to the lymph nodes where it is filtered and cleansed of waste before being returned to the blood stream.
what does lymphatic drainage massage do?
- It helps to drain excess fluid from the tissues of the body
- Is believed to improve and strengthen the immune system
- Can help to reduce pain and aids relaxation by its action on the nervous system
what conditions might benefit from lymphatic drainage massage?
- Sluggish immune systems
- Recover from surgery to aid healing
- Chronic conditions such as sinusitis, arthritis and eczema
- Stretch marks during pregnancy
- Chronic fatigue
- Puffy facial tissue
[coming winter 2015]